Program Reimbursement Policies & Guidelines
If you are travelling from out of town, the program will cover accommodation for one night to attend full-day retreats (or any face-to-face events with an early start time). Reimbursement for more than one night can only be covered with special permission.
UBC faculty members are entitled to the BC Provincial Government reimbursement rate.
- Cost of government rate room during the high season (May – Sept): $90-$170 (before taxes)
- Cost of government rate room during the low season (Oct – Apr): $60-$130 (before taxes)
View a list of hotels that offer the rate. Reimbursement for accommodation that is booked outside of the government rate may need to be adjusted if the cost differs.
Accommodations on UBC Campus
If the retreat is taking place at UBC campus, there are a number of accommodation options nearby:
Tickets are considered receipts for travel on public transit.
If you are arriving at Vancouver Airport, the fastest and most cost-effective method of transportation into Vancouver is via the Canada Line (Skytrain). You can board the Canada Line at the airport.
- Destination: Downtown Vancouver: Take the Canada Line to the downtown stop that is closest to your hotel (e.g., Yaletown, Vancouver City Centre, Waterfront)
- Destination: UBC Point Grey Campus: Take the Canada Line to the Broadway City Hall station. Kitty-corner from the Skytrain station you will see a bus stop. Board the 99 B-Line bus heading west. UBC is the last stop on the bus route.
Further information on Vancouver public transit can be found on Translink’s website.
Taxi or Car Rental
When public transit is not the easiest way to get to campus from downtown you can use a taxi if this is the best option from your location. Taxi rides from downtown or from the airport to UBC can exceed $30 for one way. When possible, please share taxis with colleagues to help reduce the cost.
If you do need to take more than one taxi ride in a day, and you are traveling outside of Vancouver, consider renting a car. UBC's preferred car rental agency is Enterprise/National and rates are valid worldwide. Quote XVC4300 when making a reservation. Faculty can also take advantage of the BC Provincial Government rate when using other rental companies. More details can be found here.
Gas and parking expenses can be claimed when using rental cars. Keep all receipts.
Private Vehicle (Parking & Mileage)
Parking and mileage reimbursement for private vehicles is provided for those traveling from outside of Vancouver. The current rate is $0.49/km
Please note: mileage costs should not exceed the cost to use other forms of transportation (e.g., airline travel that may be faster).
Gas expenses for private vehicles are not claimable, as this cost is included in the mileage calculation.
Breakfast and lunch are generally provided at full-day retreats, unless otherwise specified. If you are travelling from out of town, you are entitled to meal reimbursement, outside of the provided meals, up to a certain amount per diem.
Current Per Diem Rates:
- Breakfast: $14.00
- Lunch: $16.00
- Dinner: $30.00
Visit UBC Travel Smart for more information and tips on travel.
Fill out a Faculty and Staff Reimbursement Form and return it to the Family Practice Residency Program Office (the office address is listed on the form).
- Claims should be submitted to the program within three months of being incurred.
- Original, itemized receipts are required for all reimbursement claims.
- Emailed itineraries are acceptable for air travel.
- Bus tickets are considered receipts for travel on public transit. Mileage and per diem expenses do not require receipts.
For questions about the reimbursement process, contact Program Assistant Katelyn Giffin.