Residency is a time of transition when responsibilities not only increase professionally but personally.
The UBC Family Practice Residency Program takes resident wellness and resiliency seriously. Below you will find contact details for emergency and non-emergency services, as well as a range of wellness resources.
Contacts for Immediate Assistance
- If you are currently experiencing a medical emergency, please dial 911.
- Crisis Centre 24 hour help: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Physician Health Program 24-hour Helpline: 1-800-663-6729
Contacts for non-immediate Assistance
- UBC Resident Wellness Office: The UBC Resident Wellness Office offers free and confidential counselling (over the phone, through Skype, and in person at VGH and SMH) along with workshops and access to other resources:
Phone: 604 675 3873 | Toll-free: 1 855 675 3873 (The Resident Wellness Office is open Mon-Fri and has general hours from 8am – 5pm, with evening appointments available on certain days of the week, by request.)
- Mistreatment Help: this resource is for learners within the UBC Faculty of Medicine who feel they may be experiencing mistreatment or harassment
- Your Site Director or Chief Resident
- Your Family Physician
Resources have been developed or sourced by the Resident Resilience Subcommittee (RRS)
The RRS is a standing subcommittee of the Family Medicine PGEC (Postgraduate Education Committee). The mandate of the Committee is to identify, communicate, integrate, and create resources around resident resilience and wellness and to anticipate and bring forward issues that may challenge resident resilience.
The RRS has created a series of communications on specific resident resilience and well-being topics, which are distributed by the Program Office throughout the year according to a schedule that reflects residents’ need to know.
Please remember that these links do not connect you directly to assistance – if you need immediate help, contact one of the numbers listed above.
Support for Resident Wellness
Support for Emotional Health
- Resident in Distress Infographic
- Adverse Event Infographic
- Depression in Residents Resources
- Bullying & Harassment Resources
Support for Resident Safety
- Wallet Card: Contains important contact information. Distributed to all residents at orientation.
- Site Coordinator’s Guidelines for Management and Support of Residents in Distress: Distributed to all program administrators.