PGME Resident Reimbursable expense

Note: Residents are required to keep original expense receipts to support a claim. Refer to the PGME website for reimbursement for mandatory claims. 

This policy covers reimbursement for the following categories:

  1. Travel to mandatory rotations at a distributed Site
  2. Travel for Educational or Academic Events
  3. Other expense reimbursements
  4. Reimbursement process

Travel to Mandatory Rotations at a Distributed Site

A distributed site is defined as a site distant from the resident’s home program which requires the resident to reside in that location (at the discretion of the Site Director).  Home site is defined as the residency site where the majority of the resident’s training takes place.

As trainees of a public institution which aims to use its resources as effectively as possible, residents must exercise care when incurring travel expenses. It is the responsibility of the traveler to make the most economical travel and accommodation arrangements possible.


  1. Residents will be reimbursed for economy airfare or mileage to a maximum of $700 to and from (one round trip) a mandatory rotation at a distributed site within the province of British Columbia. One return trip mid-rotation to the home site per four-week block, or one spousal trip will be funded during the rural rotation to a maximum of $700 within BC only.
  2. Reimbursement for travel to a rotation at a distributed site:
    • a) Travel by vehicle – a mileage rate of 50¢ / km is reimbursed to a maximum of $700. All mileage claim must include a Google map ad gas receipts as a backup.
      • The starting point for calculating mileage should always be from the resident’s home site, not from the resident’s home address.
    • b) Travel by air – round-trip economy airfare will be reimbursed up to $700.  Any travel expense exceeding the stated amount need to be pre-approved by the UBC Program Office prior to the start of the rotation.  Maximum approved travel claim is $1,000 for a round trip, applicable only to rural rotation travel but not mid-rotation trip.  The Resident Travel Travel Allowance Tool allows residents to check how much they can claim by picking a city in the “from” and “to” drop-down list.  **Flights paid by cash will not be reimbursed**
      • Because significant savings can be realized by making reservations in advance, residents should plan their travel at least 14 days prior to departure.  Last-minute booking may result in travel costs higher than what the program will cover, in which case the balance will have to be absorbed by the resident. If there are potential issues or concerns, residents should discuss such matters prior to their travel.
    • Unless pre-approval is obtained, the lesser of the amounts in a) and b) will be reimbursed under normal circumstances.
  3. Core rotations must be done within the province unless previously approved.  All travel claims to or from locations outside of B.C. are not eligible for reimbursement.
Community Rotation or Daily/Extended Commute to a Distributed Site
  1. Should a resident be required to commute to a mandatory rotation, instead of staying in the community, where the mileage is greater than 40 km one way, the resident will be reimbursed at the rate of $.50/km.
  2. If a resident must leave their distributed site for approved departmental events, travel costs will be reimbursed as per this policy.


  1. If pre-arranged accommodation is available in a distributed site but no contract is in place, and the resident must pay the landlord directly, the resident will be reimbursed according to the negotiated monthly rates. In the event that residents choose to arrange their own accommodation in those sites, a reasonable accommodation rate will be reimbursed to a maximum of $1,400 per month (pro-rated for durations over or under one block). **Accommodations paid in cash will not be reimbursed.** VCH requires supporting documents such as bank statements or cleared cheques to accompany all non-commercial rent receipts (i.e., hand-written receipts or receipts that do not have a business registration number).
  2. It is the expectation that residents will stay in the accommodation arranged by the Program. When accommodation at a distributed site is pre-arranged by the program through a rental contract (e.g. Gibson, Sechelt), or when it is provided at a distributed site without cost to the Program, residents are required to stay in this housing. Requests for alternate housing must be pre-approved and will only be granted on the basis of written documentation of physical limitations or health reasons.*
  3. If a resident does not incur any accommodation costs while at a mandatory distributed site none will be reimbursed.
  4. Accommodation at some distributed sites may cost more than the maximum reimbursement of $1,400 (e.g. Tofino or Osoyoos in the summer). Residents are responsible for rental costs in excess of $1,400 per month and should take this into account when they make their site selection.
  5. No overnight stay is allowed to be claimed for a one-day event if residents can travel to the event on the same day (eg. Nanaimo to Victoria, Kelowna to Vancouver, Abbotsford to Vancouver).
  6. The program will reimburse for a reasonable “host gift” for free accommodation under the following guidelines:
    • the gift must not go to a family member
    • original receipts must be produced
    • up to $100 for host gift if accommodation is provided without charge by the host site
Reimbursement for mandatory rotations outside of British Columbia

Mandatory rotations outside of BC may qualify for reimbursement, if in the judgment of the Program, the rotation is not available within the province, or if a special arrangement has been negotiated between the Program and the site.

Currently, only the following mandatory rotation outside of British Columbia qualifies for reimbursement:


Travel and accommodation for mandatory rural rotations in Inuvik are covered by the host site. Inuvik provides round-trip airfare and accommodation. The mid-rotation trip is funded by the Family Practice Program as per travel policy within BC (i.e. maximum of $700 for a mid-rotation trip). Residents choosing to drive to Inuvik should consult the administrator in Inuvik regarding reimbursement prior to deciding to drive.

Addendum to Travel Policy – Definition of Spouse

All residents are eligible for a return trip to the Resident’s program base at the end of every four week block. Alternatively, resident’s spouse is also eligible for mid-trip rotation trip to a distributed site. The Collective Agreement between HEABC and RDBC defines “spouse” as as a person living with a Resident as a common law partner for a period of not less than one (1) year.

Reimbursement for Rural Residents

Please refer to Rural Site Travel Policy for more details

Travel for Mandatory Educational or Academic Events (Academic Half Days)

As trainees of a public institution which aims to use its resources as effectively as possible, residents must exercise care when incurring travel expenses. It is the responsibility of the traveler to make the most economical travel and accommodation arrangements possible.

Residents may claim reasonable expenses up to $600 per trip ($700 for remote sites with pre-approval)  to a maximum of 13 trips per academic year. This amount INCLUDES the cost of airfare, ferry, mileage, and accommodation. The Resident Travel Travel Allowance Tool allows residents to check how much they can claim by picking a city in the “from” and “to” drop-down list.

The starting point for calculating mileage should always be from the resident’s home site, not from the resident’s home address. Submit expenses using the “Academic Day Transportation log”.

Travel for program-wide academic events

The Residency Program will cover travel expenses for residents to attend the following mandatory educational events:

  • ALARM course
  • Postgrad Resident Retreat (when it’s held)
  • Program Orientation (for incoming residents)
  • Residents Scholarship Day
  • Approved Program events (eg. CaRMS)

Group travel should be arranged whenever possible in attending the above events. Unless pre-approval is obtained, the most economical mode of transportation will be reimbursed.

Accommodation Subsidy for Mandatory Educational Event

In the event that a resident needs to stay overnight to attend a mandatory educational event, the resident can claim up to $200 including tax per night for accommodation or $200 + $100 per additional eligible traveler for shared accommodations. Reimbursement above the stated amount will not be processed without prior approval from the Residency Office. All overnight stay claims must be supported by original receipts with GST #.

Residents can take advantage of the hotel and motel rates negotiated by the Provincial Government within the Province of British Columbia. These rates are intended for business travel only and so UBC or Hospital identification may be requested when checking into the property.

See: BC Provincial Government rate


Meals and food purchases are not eligible for reimbursement.

Other Expense Reimbursements

Mandatory courses such as ACLS (to a max of $500, no add-ons included) or ATLS for rural residents will be reimbursed by the PGME office.  Other courses sponsored by REAP or approved by Site Directors will be reimbursed through the UBC Family Practice Program Office.  Regardless of where the reimbursement is processed, residents must complete the standard reimbursement form and submit it with the original receipt to the Family Practice Program Office.

Claims which fall outside of the above-mentioned categories are considered miscellaneous claims.  This may include non-mandatory course or conference attendance, research expense, etc.  Residents must enter the details of the expense on the reimbursement form, add a note “non-mandatory, conference..” and the program will process the claim via UBC Finance.

Reimbursement Procedure

To increase the timeliness of reimbursements, Vancouver Coastal Health Accounts Payable highly encourages the use of the direct deposit. (This is separate from your payroll direct deposit). Please fill out this authorization form.

There are also times when UBC will reimburse residents for expenses. To set up direct deposit with UBC, please fill out this authorization form.

The Expense Reimbursement Form must be completed and submitted to the site office with your receipts and signature. Once approved by the Program Office, the form will be redirected to either the Vancouver Coastal Paying Agency or by UBC Financial Services for processing. If you are missing a receipt, please fill out a Missing Receipt Form and include a bank statement as proof of payment.

Original expense receipts are required to support each claim. The passenger copy of a ticket or e-ticket is required in the case of air or ferry transportation. Vancouver Coastal Health and UBC Finance will not accept any travel agency invoices, photocopies or scans. Credit card statements and canceled cheques can be used as additional proof of payment. The date and nature of the event must be clearly stated. The traveler’s signature must be included on the form.

It is important that you settle your travel claims soon after you travel. Reimbursements must be submitted on the Resident Reimbursement form and ideally submitted within 3 months after the date of the event.